Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing 11

Instant messaging is the one thing I have done before. When my oldest daughter went to college the cell phone coverage was spotty and expensive so I learned how to instant message and we would frequently chat in the afternoons. This went by the wayside when cell phone plans became less expensive and included the area where she was going to school. I was quite proud of myself when I went to log in and remembered my user name and password even though I set up the account 10 years ago and haven't used it in over 5 years. My user name is pastamama2 (given to me by my kids) and I am using AIM. I know we downloaded the software when I originally set up the account but I have not updated it and the AIM express from the browser seems to work just as well. The home page does seem to be much more cluttered with ads and other stuff that I find it more distracting than I remember. I do need to try to use the abbreviations more often- my kids said my instant messages read more like letters and so therefore are not very instant.
I thought the post by another North Texas 23 participant who used IM with other librarians while trying to help a patron was a great strategy.

1 comment: